Indian journalist Fazil Khan dies in New York apartment fire caused by lithium-ion battery

Image taken from Google.com

Indian journalist Fazil Khan dies in New York apartment fire caused by lithium-ion battery

The tragedy at the St. Nicholas Place apartment complex involving a lithium-ion battery claimed the life of 27-year-old journalist Fazil Khan.

In a horrific apartment fire in Harlem, New York, an Indian guy lost his life. Journalist Fazil Khan, 27, perished in the St. Nicholas Place apartment building tragedy that was brought on by a lithium-ion battery. There were 17 more residents hurt.

I'm sorry to hear that Mr. Fazil Khan, a 27-year-old Indian national, perished in a tragic fire in an apartment building in Harlem, New York. India in New York maintains contact with the friends and family of the late Mr. Fazil Khan. As reported by NDTV, the embassy stated, We continue to extend all possible assistance in reparation of his mortal remains to India.

Khan was a Columbia Journalism School graduate. He was employed by The Hechinger Report, a data journalism organization housed at Teachers College, Columbia University. The nonprofit newspaper, which covers education innovation and inequality, released the following statement following Khan's passing: "We learned Saturday that Fazil Khan, the data reporter for The Hechinger Report, passed away in a fire in his New York City apartment." Our thoughts go out to his family and we are crushed by the loss of such a wonderful person and terrific colleague. We shall really miss him."

Khan's LinkedIn page states that he began working as a copy editor at Business Standard in 2018. Later, he was employed by CNN-News18 in Delhi as a correspondent. He relocated to New York in 2020 in order to attend Columbia University for his graduate studies.

Individuals were leaping from the windows

Many people leaped from the apartment to escape the flames, which forced rope rescues from there. The fire escape was utilized by many.

Regarding the incident, a local stated, "People were jumping out of the windows and the fire was at the top." A resident related that his father was compelled to vacate the building, taking only his phone and keys.

Up to eighteen persons were saved. Twelve of them were taken to a nearby hospital in an ambulance. According to accounts, four persons are still in severe condition.

The Department of Buildings issued a "full vacate" order. The Red Cross is offering impacted individuals temporary accommodation at a neighboring school.