Light aircraft crashes close to a town in Selangor, Malaysia; search and rescue operations continue

Image taken from Google.com

Light aircraft crashes close to a town in Selangor, Malaysia; search and rescue operations continue

KUALA LUMPUR: According to the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM), a light aircraft crashed close to the town of Kapar in Selangor on Tuesday, February 13.

The aircraft that crashed close to the town in the Klang region of Selangor had two occupants, including the pilot, according to a statement released by Captain Norazman Mahmud, the chief executive officer of CAAM.

"Their conditions have yet to be confirmed," he stated.

He said that the incident will be looked into by the Ministry of Transport's Air Accident Investigation Bureau.

The aircraft, owned and managed by Air Adventure Flying Club, took off for a leisurely trip at 1.28 pm (5.28 am GMT) from Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang, Selangor, according to Captain Norazman. I-POOC was the registration code of the Blackshape BK160 Gabriel aircraft.

"Last contact made by the aircraft with air traffic control was at 1.35pm, however, there was no distress call received," said the captain.

In order to locate the aircraft, the Kuala Lumpur Air Traffic Control Center's Kuala Lumpur Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Center was triggered right away, he continued.

An unidentified aircraft's wreckage after a crash on a palm oil plantation was captured in a 17-second video that went viral earlier in the day.

Tuesday's plane disaster in Kapar was verified by Selangor police chief Hussein Omar Khan.

"I can only confirm the incident but there are no details yet because we have only seen the tail of the aircraft," he said to Bernama.

According to Ahmad Mukhlis Mukhtar, deputy director of operations of the Selangor Fire and Rescue Department, the crash happened near Kapar's Kampung Tok Muda.

He said in a statement that search and rescue operations were still underway after the Selangor Fire and Rescue Department got a distress call at 1:56 p.m. and sent out a team from its Kapar station.